125 g all-purpose flour
3 tbsp cacao powder
75 g vegan butter, cold
2 tsp vanilla extract
50-100 ml ice cold water
1/8 tsp salt
150 ml full fat coconut milk, from a can
250 g vegan white chocolate
- Prepare 4 non-stick* tart tins (10 cm diameter).
- In a food processor add flour, cacao powder, salt, 1 tsp vanilla extract and the cubed vegan butter.
- Pulse a couple of times until the dough looks like wet sand.
- Let the food processor blend on low while gradually adding cold water to it. You might need up to 100 ml. Stop adding water as soon as the dough comes into a ball.
- Take the dough out of the food processor, wrap it in foil and let it cool in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
- After the hour has passed (you can leave it more - even overnight), take the dough out of the fridge and divide it between 4 equal pieces.
- Roll out each piece of dough on a floured surface**, about 2-3 mm thick.
- Transfer the rolled dough into the prepared tins and make sure it covers the bottom and walls of the tins. Cut the excess dough.
- Put the tart tins in a larger tray and bake the dough for 15 minutes.
- To make the filling, simply place the coconut milk in a small pot over medium-low heat.
- When it starts to bubble on the edges, turn off the heat, add in the cubed chocolate and whisk until it’s melted.
- Add in the activated charcoal powder and 1 tsp vanilla extract and whisk some more until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour the filling over the slightly cooled tart shells and let your tarts cool at room temperature for a while, then transfer them to the fridge to cool overnight***
*If your tart tins aren’t non-stick, just grease them with some coconut oil or vegan butter.
**If at this stage the dough feels too moist, just add a little more flour. If it’s too dry, add a little bit of cold water to it.
***Because of the addition of the charcoal powder, the filling won’t set completely after just one night, it will still be slightly runny even after cooling in the fridge overnight. It will set though if you allow it to cool for about 24 hours+.
Product used in this recipe:
ACTIVATED CHARCOAL POWDER
Activated Charcoal is one of natures most powerful colorants. Our Charcoal is made from bamboo and it has such strong detoxifying properties that we never recommend consuming Activated Charcoal within 1 hour before or after taking any medications.
>> Read more about Activated Charcoal in the Shop <<